Start the day right with Niagara!
On a lazy weekend morning, treat yourself to crispy, crunchy and perfectly buttery French toast. This brunch classic includes sweet layers with a topping of caramelized apples and a generous pour of our luscious sweet wine.
French Toast with Caramelized Apples
For french toast:
- 1 loaf cinnamon raisin brioche
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 2 teaspoons of orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- unsalted butter
For caramelized apples:
- 2 apples (such as Gala or Honeycrisp), cored and sliced
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, agave, orange zest, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add sliced bread to bowl and soak each side for a minute or two until the bread is just soaked through.
- Add pan to medium heat and lightly butter pan. Cook bread on each side for about 3 minutes until golden brown and transfer to plate.
- Using the same pan, melt butter and add brown sugar. Once dissolved, add apples and cinnamon and cook until golden brown on each side.
- Serve apples atop french toast and drizzle with maple syrup if desired.